Saturday, March 30, 2024

My Revenge (Cheating and Its Consequences)

 


My Revenge (Cheating and Its Consequences)

Title: Cheating and Its Consequences

The title of this post, "My Revenge," is misleading because there is no revenge involved. Instead, I want to discuss a serious issue.

I am an instructor for courses in engineering and English majors, and this semester, I have more than 500 students distributed among 18 different classes. Unfortunately, some students attempt to cheat to get better grades than they deserve. I want to give these students a perspective to consider before going down this path, and hopefully convince them to do the right thing.

My argument is this: my class is easy to pass if you simply try. I give points for effort, not just getting the answers right, so if you complete the homework, you'll receive grades for class performance activities. The final exam is more challenging, but I don't try to trick students. I explain the exam format in advance, so they know what to study. With minimal effort, they can pass the course. Additionally, the passing grade is only 60%, so it's not that high.

Despite these facts, there are always some students who try to cheat. It takes a lot of time to gather evidence and build a case against these students, and many of them will get away with cheating. They may feel smart for fooling the system and passing without studying, but as a teacher, I try to be fair. If I catch someone cheating, I will punish them. However, I'm aware that many cheaters will never get caught.

The main point I want to make is that one day, these students will face a job interview. Most employers won't ask to see their grades, but if they're hiring someone with good English skills, they will conduct the interview in English, and cheating won't be an option.

Another important point is this: How much is your integrity worth? For those who cheat, it's just a few points on a test paper. They lose their integrity and reputation, and may never be trusted again. Trust is difficult to earn, but easy to lose.

I want to share a few points I read some time ago to help illustrate my view and demonstrate how important it is to be honest and have integrity.

 

► Point 1

► Point 2

Quoting from the article I have read: “I was in the East a few weeks ago, and I visited with a businessman, one of the most inspiring businessmen I have ever met. He told me of an experience he had had some time ago. He was the chief executive officer of a billion-dollar-a-year business. The company manufactured products of various qualities. The first-quality product was in the manufacturer’s name; the second-quality product was in the name of the customer. One of their customers, who did sixty million dollars’ worth of business a year, came to him a while ago and said, “I want a letter from you telling me that the second-grade product is just as good as the first-grade product.”

He replied, “But it isn’t as good.”

The customer said, “But it has the same ingredients.”

“The ingredients aren’t in the same quantity. It is not as good.”

“I want that letter or you’ll lose my business.” A sixty-million-dollar account. And this wonderful man said, “If that is what I have to do to keep your business, I don’t want it.”

Integrity! It exists in the world, but it exists in the hearts and the souls and the minds and the intellects of individuals. It doesn’t exist just in masses of individuals.

► Point 3

I had the experience one day of coming back to Salt Lake City on an airplane after a conference. A young man whom I had never seen sat in the seat in front of me. He recognized me, I suppose, from some of the pictures he had seen. He spoke to me and told me he was returning to his home in Detroit. He had graduated from Brigham Young University and had gone on to another school to get his MBA. He was a junior employee in the department in which he was employed at the Ford Motor Company. He had been chosen by his department head to represent the company at a very important meeting on the west coast. There were many men his senior in the department; they were furious that a junior man would be invited to go to such an important convention. It was a real plum professionally. The department head told one of them why he had chosen this young man. He said, “I know he will not embarrass the company. He won’t go out and get drunk. He’ll go out and take care of himself and represent us properly. That’s why I chose him.” You see, integrity can mean many things in the way of success in our lives.

► Point 4

Now I’d like to share with you a lesson that a young man has taught. This, to me, is one of the most touching lessons of integrity I have ever read. This is the true story of Elam Hill, director of physical education at Sequoia Junior High:

This story is available at item 15 [520-15-Elan Hill (Integrity)] for FREE at the course: 520-Vocabulary, Directions, Activities, Games

You can also take the story test (Quiz) here.

Marcelo Gameiro

Article by Marcelo Gameiro

Published 14 May 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment