Monday, October 16, 2017

Differences in Emotional Expressivity

I end buying a course from Vanessa Van Edwards from people science because I thought the subject was very interesting and wanted to learn more, in her course she talks about the 7 micro-expressions that are involuntary, so we cannot control those expressions and by that we reveal ourselves to those who know how to interpret those signs. It was very consistent with the class we just watched for this topic because from those different cultures we learn how to control our expressions to fit in, but the teacher said we all have the same emotions and in private we may express them while in public we behave the way the culture dictates. So those micro expressions it is kind of interesting to learn about because they are microexpressions and involuntary, so it would be very useful to the one who learns to interpret them, even I did buy the course I must say it will require a lot of practice to become good at.

We are pretty big as regarding the scale different cultures accept and tolerate the way we express, and that can be a source of misunderstanding, and misinterpretation so we need to be aware of the pitfall we can go into if we don't know anything about the culture we are going to visit.

Update: Here is what I have learned, I did also teach my students in china about people skills









4 comments:

  1. Marcelo,

    Isn't it amazing that we learn to control how we express our emotions? I remember watching a video that showed how different cultures grieve the lost of a dear one, I was so surprise to learn that Jews tear their clothes when they first learn about the passing of a loved one, but then they are expected to move towards acceptance. This is very different from the traditions in other areas like Mexico and the USA. Cultural differences always amaze me! And, I agree, they can lead to misunderstandings if we lack understanding of the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcelo, Could you give me an example of micro expressions that we do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here is a link where you can learn more of micro expressions.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX7zIpHaAXE

      Delete
  3. I think that I would like to know the list of micro expressions that you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete