Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Cultural Differences Concerning TIME Video

I never have had seen anything about what is being discussed in this video regarding a society being polychromic or monochromic, but since I am a Brazilian Guy that have the experience in living in the USA I could compare the situation the teacher told to explain the concept. I could easily relate to what he was telling even remembering situations where the same things happen to me. So it becomes really clear to see the difference where a society value more felling of time (schedule).
The interesting thing is that because I have lived in both places I can both of them are right and wrong at the same time, it makes you see the good and bad from both sides, and arrive at the conclusion that one may not be better than the other, but if you can be aware and understand the other side you will be more likely to more understanding, more tolerant of other people. That foster sympathy and friendship, those things are important to deal with people, especially a TESOL teacher that need to work with students that may come from different places.

Another point discussed was that those things will influence the way you do business, look for a job, or many other things so it will affect the way you live in a society.

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more, there are many diferences among cultures.Some acts have a tradition behind them. As you say, TESOL teachers need to understand and be tolerant with students. Teachers need to clarify local culture to students as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reason that we have corruption in many other countries, is linked to the attitudes, and social context of living. I think the reality in Brazil or US can be different if you are not from "favelas" or "ghettos" I think that there are cultural differences. I think that you will have your hands full if you don't understand those realities.

    ReplyDelete