Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Individualism vs. Collectivism

Professor Ivers always talk about the positive and negative of the Individualism vs Collectivism, not about the one being better or worse than the other, that is because each one of them has its advantages and disadvantages. But the way I see as the world gets more populated, and cities becoming bigger with more people per area, having to live together is becoming more important to learn how to live among people, society needs to function properly, so rules and laws must be obeyed and respect so that we can live better in society, this is one trending I see is happening. All thou collectivism doesn't foster creativity it has its good points to a better society. We can learn from both sides.

I did find one interesting topic that is about knowledge transmission, I reflect back on the scripture when Jesus said: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (New Testament | John 8:32)", so I was raised in a way that I was incentive to seek for knowledge as it would help me make informed and better decisions in my life in many aspects of it, also the church is fostering the acquiring the knowledge. My question here is, what is the positive side of how collectivism transmit knowledge? There are other issues, about taking responsibility for our own decisions, it is clear that I have an opinion being raised on individualistic culture, but trying to learn something from the other side as well.

This book "ESSENTIAL TOOLS" was about to provide the tools and understanding the differences between those two culture views and how people from those culture view things, it may help a teacher who has students from different background such as most likely to happen in language class to cope and better address issues that arise regarding those differences. A teacher with this knowledge would be lenient with a student that doesn't look directly at him when he is talking because he understands that in his culture that is disrespectful.

I like so much the article "The Myth of Chinese Super Schools" because it explains the reasons behind the difference in test results between China and United States, it also makes a lot of sense the explanations. There was a time when people were not allowed to read, for example, the Bible because lack of knowledge makes it easier to exercise control over the masses, if they have the knowledge they can disagree and argument against you. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints foster education as maximum as it is possible, all its efforts, even maintain a University it is part of its doctrine to pursue education, but on the other hand it does require we follow the commandments and require of us obedience, as educated members we may have the knowledge to argue against its demands and requirements. How can someone understand this paradox ?? Well, let me say.....

I was married to a woman and helped her to developed her potential, there were once she was even earning more than me, but I always, thought that I want her to remain with me because she wants that and not because she is dependant on me. Well she did choose a divorce anyway.... that was hard for me, but now with better understanding I may risk saying that was for the better.... and if you did not pick up the why here, you also may never fully appreciate the difference between having the power of doing something and still not do it.

3 comments:

  1. i agree about the 'SOCIETY NEEDS TO FUNCTION PROPERLY' as we observed in the internet it was one of the examples, if we want to be respected we should function it properly.. very nice work marcelo.. Your experiences in life was very useful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really impress while reading your work.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good remark! I really like it because it seems to be personal. I am so sorry for your divorce. The obligation that we have in this life is to help others to achieve their potential. Keep doing it Sir!

    ReplyDelete